Tony Andrews: Curriculum Vitae
A UK-based Oracle specialist with over 15 years' experience of analysing, designing and developing Oracle databases and applications. Expert in designing medium and large-scale Oracle databases and in the generation and development of web-enabled database applications. Since 2005 I have specialised in Oracle Application Express.
- andrewst AT onetel dot com
- Oracle logical and physical database design
- Oracle web application design, generation & development
- Application performance tuning
- Requirements analysis, process modelling and data modelling
- Sound understanding of the relational model
- Team and project leading, planning
- Oracle Application Express / APEX / HTMLDB (1.0-3.1)
- PL/SQL (1.x - 10.0)
- Oracle RDBMS (6.0 - 10.2)
- Oracle Designer (1.x - 6.0)
- Oracle Forms (3.0 - 6i)
- Oracle Reports (1.1 - 6.0)
- Oracle CDM, Oracle CASE Method, LSDM
- SQL Developer, SQL Loader, TOAD, TKPROF, MS Project, Visio, C
Northgate / Sx3, Bracknell - August 2002 to date
Senior Analyst/Designer (contract)
- Pioneered the use of APEX (HTMLDB) as a replacement for ageing Forms 6i functionality in the Northgate Revenues & Benefits local government applications. Produced a demonstration prototype that was received very positively by the customers and led to a decision to adopt APEX as the platform for the next major release of the product.
- Designed the main components of the new product, including a branded style sheet (CSS), a PL/SQL library, and an application structure to accommodate build by a development team of 25.
- In May 2007 transferred to the Housing division of Northgate IS to provide APEX expertise in the redesign of the user interface to the Housing product which helped to win an £8M deal with New South Wales, Australia.
- Acted as APEX mentor and consultant to the development team.
- Trained developers in best use of APEX in Bracknell, Belfast and Manchester offices.
- Concieved and developed an APEX-based browser tool to access Oracle Designer analysis and design information for use by developers, system testers, product consultants and support personnel.
- Proposed, designed and implemented an APEX application to replace existing Forms 3.0 based internal Work Management System.
- Analysed requirements using Designer 6.0: process modelling, data modelling, rule modelling, function definitions, database design.
Network Training, Thames Ditton - June 2002 to July 2002
Oracle Consultant (contract)
- Advised on potential performance improvements to SQL.
Fujitsu Services, Winnersh - March 2001 to May 2002
Senior Designer (contract)
- Designed and developed accounts transfer functionality for Libra, an Integrated Magistrates Courts information system for England and Wales (Oracle 8i, Designer 6.0, web-based Forms 6i, Forms Generator, PL/SQL 8i packages, PVCS).
- Produced and implemented a new data model for People and Organisations data, which improved performance by 100%.
- Performed code reviews and unit tests of Forms and PL/SQL modules.
- Wrote developer guidelines for writing good, efficient PL/SQL.
- Planned and managed a package of system enhancements.
First Software UK Ltd, Bracknell (now Northgate) - September 2000 to March 2001
Systems Analyst/Designer (contract)
- Analysed business and system requirements for the re-development of First Revenues and Benefits packages, database applications for local authorities and housing associations.
- Produced logical data model, function hierarchy and function specifications by interviewing expert users and investigating prior version of package (Designer 6.0).
- Designed database tables, views, constraints and triggers (Designer 6, Oracle 8i).
- Provided weekly progress reports to Project Manager.
Andersen Consulting, London - January 2000 to August 2000
Lead Analyst/Designer (contract)
- Responsible for support and global deployment of Halliburton's labour system.
- Led development and support team of 6 programmers.
- Analysed requirements for deployments in Norway, Australia and Singapore.
- Designed and developed new modules (Designer 2.1, Forms Generator, Forms 5.0, Reports 3.0, PL/SQL 8.0).
- Trained AC consultants taking over ongoing support in USA.
Halliburton UK Ltd, Leatherhead - April 1998 to December 1999
Lead Analyst/Designer (contract)
- Developed a labour system to integrate with Halliburton's SAP HR, payroll and accounting system.
- Analysed and documented business and system requirements. Produced Business Process Models, Logical Data Model and Function Definitions through workshops with senior HR, Payroll, Accounting and Project staff.
- Designed and implemented database (Oracle 8) and application.
- Led software development team of 6 (Designer 2.1, Forms Generator, Forms 5.0, PL/SQL 8.0).
- Produced project design and development standards, and test plans.
- Implemented system in UK, synchronised with SAP roll out.
- Supported system, providing 24-hour cover during critical process windows.
BUPA, Staines - July 1997 to March 1998
Designer, Team Leader (contract)
- Designed and developed an integrated marketing database (Oracle 7.3).
- Designed and generated screens and reports (Forms 4.5, Reports 2.5, QMS Headstart).
- Developed dynamic PL/SQL packages using DBMS_SQL.
- Led team of 5 developers.
Oracle UK Limited, City - October 1995 to June 1997
Senior Consultant (SC2)
Client: BG Transco
- Advised on the best use of Oracle features (including snapshots, database links, parallel query, partition views, application tuning) in scaling up database from handling 2.5 million customers to handle 19 million.
- Performed QA reviews of the proposed database and application designs.
- Manufactured a scaled-up database for benchmark testing.
Client: Sun Alliance
- Analysed the requirements for a new policy administration system for small business insurance.
- Conducted workshops with experienced underwriters to produce a Business Process Model, Logical Data Model and Function Hierarchy (following CDM methodology).
- Performed gap analysis against proposed third-party software package.
- Provided skills transfer in the use of Designer 2000 and CDM.
Brown & Root Ltd, Wimbledon - August 1990 to September 1995
Project Leader / Analyst
- Developed a timesheet system to process man-hours and costs for 5000 employees distributed between various European sites. The system served the accounting, payroll, client billing and project control needs of Brown & Root and its various subsidiary companies. (Oracle 6.0, Oracle CASE, Forms 3.0, ReportWriter, PL/SQL).
- Developed an Oracle-based project billing system to replace legacy Clipper system.
- Led team of 6 analyst/programmers.
- Designed Business Objects universe to provide an end-user reporting facility.
- Royal Holloway College (London); B.Sc. (Hons) Computer Science and Mathematics
- Contributor to various internet forums:
- Beta tester for Oracle's Application Express (APEX, HTMLDB) web application development environment (when it was known as Project Marvel).
- Infrequently maintain my own blog
- Full UK driving licence
- Main hobby: playing lead guitar in my band