Runcorn workhouse site, 1870s later to be renamed Dutton Hospital.
Dutton Hospital was part of the old West Cheshire Hospital Management
Committee Rural Sector. This was made up of Runcorn
Cottage Hospital, Dutton Hospital., Crossley
Hospital and Tarporley Cottage Hospital.
Dutton Hospital began life as a Union workhouse for 280 inmates. The
origal work house buildings were built in 1855-7 at a site to the east
of Dutton called at Preston Brook.
The design was based largely upon a cruciform plan built with red brick and with an Elizabethan front with a turret and clock. The workhouse's location is shown below on the Ordnance Survey map (1870s ).
Being researched at present - if anyone has information it would be
Go to Main History Contents Page