Countess of Chester Health Park main entrance
2 1829 Building
3 Psychiatric Annexe Building
4 Psychiatric Administration Building & Head Quarters
5 Manor Hospital
6 Chester City Hospital
7 City Hospital GDU
8 Public Health Laboratory Service, Hoole Lane, Chester
9 Ellesmere Port Hospital
10 Chester Royal Infirmary - view over site
11 Chester Royal Infirmary Outpatient Department
12 Chester Royal Infirmary Old Main Entrance
13 Leading to the Main Entrance at Chester Royal Infirmary
14 Countess of Chester Hospital Maternity Building
15 Countess of Chester Hospital General Wing
16 Countess of Chester Hospital Maternity Wing
17 Countess of Chester Hospital Phase 1 Build Main Entrance
18 St Martin's House
19 Great Sutton Health Centre
20 Chester Area Health Authority Head Quarters
|Profile of Chester Health Authority (CHA) in the early 1990s.
CHA served a population of c178,000 in West Cheshire and 50,000 from North East Wales.
There were a total of 1,600 beds under its control which is an interesting contract with 2003 when the number has dropped by nearly 1,000.
In 1985 Griffiths introduced the general manager concept with unit, district and regional managers in charge of the co-ordination of services. Two unit were established,
1) Priority Care and Community services and
2) General and Geriatric.
At that time the General unit included the mental health unit with 500-600
beds. This treated the mentally ill. Other services on-site at the time
included Occupational Therapy, EEG Dept, Voluntary services Officer and
the HQ of the District Transport Department., District Laundry, and a Full
Time Chaplain (based in the Psychiatric part).
Looking into the main entrance of the Countess of Chester Health Park the site the 1829 Building can be seen in the background.
2. 1829 Building
|At the time the Induction Slide show was prepared the Mental Health Hospital had reduced the number of beds available from one of the largest in the UK (1600 beds) to 250 with the intention of reducing this to about 100 acute psychiatric beds in the short term. By the mid 1990's the vast majority of patients had been discharged into the community ("care in the community"). The 1829 Building had until "the early 1990's" been a ward and administration area. Now it is purely an administration area housing the Family Health Service Authority (FHSA)., Community Trust Administration and Ambulance Headquarters (applying for Trust status).|
3. Psychiatric Annexe Building
missing slide. This was built in 1914-1918 with its own recreation hall, wards and crèche.
BACK TO TOP
Psychiatric Administration Building & Head Quarters
|The Psychiatric HQ building housed Psychiatric administration, Wages and Manpower, Travel Claims, Personnel Department and Training.|
|At time of writing this was no longer under CHA control. It cared for mentally handicapped people with approx. 89 beds. It is understood that the McIntyre Charitable Voluntary Organization ran it once it ceased to be under Chester Health Authority control. The hospital was closed sometime in the 1990s and has since been turned into flats and executive homes built in the grounds. Also known as Sutton Hall?|
Chester City Hospital
A Miss Sheila Foley was the Unit General Manager of the Priority and Community Unit. A Regional Unit for Young Persons and a Drug and Alcohol Dependency Unit were also on site as well as a Occupational Health Department. Acute and Geriatric services - Chester City Hospital was given over to purely Geriatric care from 1983 until its closure. There were 163 beds for this purpose initially. Given the bed shortage problems of the 21st Century as demand increases and waiting time targets become shorter it would be highly advantageous if these beds were still available.
|The Geriatric Day Unit was also on the City site and had 26 places. Other departments on the City site included Xray, Physio, Occ Therapy, Medical Clinic Outpatients Dept, District Pharmacy and District Dietician. Mrs June Yale was the site manager for the City Hospital. At the time this induction show was put together it was noted that the City was scheduled for closure within two years and that two wards would be moved to the General Wing on the Countess of Chester Health Park with the rest going to nursing homes and to Ellesmere Port Hospital.|
7 City Hospital GDU
|The Geriatric Day Unit was also on the City Hospital site and had 26 places. Priority Care Unit - now run down. Geriatric Rehabilitation was transferred to a private nursing home called the Pinetum (Bache Hall) on the edge of the Countess of Chester site.|
Public Health Laboratory Service, Hoole Lane, Chester
|The Public Health Laboratory was built in in 1962 by the entrance to the City Hospital to be close to the Chester District Pathology Laboratory.|
Ellesmere Port Hospital
|A 89 bed hospital designated as a primary care rehabilitation unit managed by the Priority & Community Care Unit together with a small Outpatient Clinic. It used to also have a small injuries unit and Operating Theatre. Prior to 1982-83 it was a 24 bed cottage hospital with its own casualty and minor operations facility. In the mid 1990s there was a Physiotherapy Department, X-ray Department and Medical Records Department and a number of Outpatient Clinics were held. Whitby Group GP Practice, glimpsed through the trees on the right shares the land.|
Royal Infirmary - view over site
|Prior to 1983 it was a premier acute hospital with 217 beds, A&E, Outpatients Dept, ITU, Emergency and List Surgery, It has been expanded on a piece meal basis. From 1983 services have began migrating away from Chester Royal Infirmary toward the new General Wing on the Countess of Chester Site. The first to go over were child surgery, eyes, ITU and A&E. The Gynaecology transferred together with all list surgery. At that point the number of beds at the Infirmary fell to 126 and then down again to 70 beds. All inpatients beds were transferred by 1992 and then outpatients in 1993.|
Royal Infirmary Outpatient Department
|Chester Royal Infirmary Outpatients Department was opened in 1963 and within ten years had outgrown its capacity as the numbers of outpatient appointments continued on their seemingly endless upward trend. The building itself was spilt level and many felt it resembled a maze. The majority of outpatient appointments were held here whilst inpatient care increasingly transferred to the new General Wing on the Countess of Chester Site. Paediatrics were the exception - all their inpatient and outpatient work was carried out on the Countess of Chester site in the Maternity Wing.|
Chester Royal Infirmary Old Main Entrance
|By the time the Chester Royal Infirmary reached the end of its life the front entrance, shown above, as originally intended when the building was first erected had become the back entrance.|
to the Main Entrance at Chester Royal Infirmary
||A view above leading to the main entrance at Chester Royal Infirmary
via the one-way-system. The Nurses Home can be seen at the back.
To the left in the more modern looking building is St Martin's Clinic (was the Works Department). It was managed by the Community Trust.
It included the Orthoptic School - a Regional school at that time and an Xray Department that did work for GPs mainly as well as three operating theatres.
14 Countess of Chester Hospital Maternity
The Maternity Wing, shown on the left, was opened in 1971 as the first of a two phase District General Hospital. The intention which has since become reality was to replace both the Chester Royal Infirmary and Chester City Hospital with a modern new facility located on the one site. The second phase was going to be a Tower Block but it was never given the go ahead. The original Maternity plan was for five wards but only four were built to accommodate 112 beds a birth rate of 4,000 per year. The number of beds was reduced to between 84 and 90 beds by the mid 1990's but with the same births per year - the length of stay reduced.
|Maternity included an Ante natal Clinic, central Labour suite, Neonatal Unit and Special care Baby Unit. The tower Block was cancelled and the 5th Ward was used for administration and doctors on call rooms. In 1980 a Paediatric Medical Ward was established with a new road leading to its own entrance. It had 38 beds. Mothers were allowed to stay with their children. The School of Midwifery was located on the first floor of the building. For a another slide see 16 below.|
15 Countess of Chester Hospital General
Now looking towards the new General Wing Accident & Emergency Entrance and the pyramid shaped services area above (for Estates services, plant etc.) with its common domestic and portering services. It was begun in 1977 as a new concept - a "nucleus" type of building - deliberately built to enable future expansion in three phases. There was standard design for everything. It was the first nucleus hospital to receive patients in Britain.
|Phase 1 included HSDU, Physiotherapy, some Pathology and Outpatients together with 273 beds. In April 1991 a further two wards were opened and work began on Phase 2B - more beds - to enable all inpatients to be transferred from Chester Royal Infirmary in 1992. Phase 2C led to further outpatients clinics being opened, a breast screening unit and a CAT Scanner was bought by public subscription. There is a central corridor above and below with a general crucifix design. It was the first nucleus to be built on green belt land. Planning .|
16 Countess of Chester Hospital Maternity
|The above is a view of the Maternity Wing on the Countess of
Chester Health Park. This was the first building to be erected for what
came ot be known in 1983 as the Countess of Chester Hospital.
The building itself is very different in design from the later main general wing of the hospital. It was intended to be a first phase of a bigger complex in the same style. This was never finished.
Countess of Chester Hospital Phase 1 Build Main Entrance
|The above view is looking across the Health Park to the entrance of
the hospital following completion of the first phase of the new building.
The hospital entrance is located where the entrance to the Accident &
Emergency Department entrance is located today.
Virtually all the grassed area in the foreground had been built on by 2003.
18 St Martin's House
|St Martin's House was originally a local authority building that came
into NHS use in 1974. At that time it was the Head Quarters of Chester
Health Authority. When Chester Health Authority moved to a new building
at Lightfoot Street
it was used as a Clinic Health Centre, special hearing services, chiropody,
an administration and clerical centre for community services. It was closed
in the mid 1990s and in 2003 still stands empty.
19 Great Sutton Health Centre
|Great Sutton health centre near Ellesmere Port. It is used by Primary Care staff and GPs|
Area Health Authority Head Quarters
Built in 1976 and located on Lightfoot Street this was built specially to house the Chester Area Health Authority. The District General Manager at the time was Pearce Butler.
|Supplies, Salaries and Wages, Personnel and Treasury & Finance were originally housed there but were devolved to the acute unit and Salaries and Wages to the Priority Care Unit. The plan was to vacate and sell the building. (NHS Supplies moved in later to become known as PASA or Purchasing and Supplies Agency). The local Ambulance service for Cheshire < Clywd and Mersey also used space at Lightfoot Street HQ. It originally came under the control of the Health Authority in 1974. Before that date it was run by the local authority.|