Recipe Categories : | Lebanese | Beans | Casseroles
Serves : 6 Cooking time
: 2½ hours
- 500g fresh green string beans
- 500g stewing meat, cubed
- several meat bones
- 1½ cups onions, chopped
- ½ cup ghee or substitute
- 1½ tspn salt
- ½ tspn pepper
- ½ tspn mixed spices
- 2 tbsp tomato paste blended with 2½ cups water or 1 x 445g
can tomato soup blended with 2 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tspn ground coriander
Preparation and Cooking Instructions
- String the beans. Slice down the center or leave whole.
- Lightly brown the meat, bones and onions in the ghee, using the pot
in which the stew is to be cooked. Mix in the beans and fry for a few
minutes. Add the salt, pepper and mixed spices, then pour in the tomato
paste or soup diluted with water. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer
slowly until the meat is very tender.
- Crush the garlic with a pinch of salt and fry with the coriander in
a little ghee until the garlic smells sweet. Stir this mixture into
the cooked stew.
- Serve with Rice Pilaf
or Bur'ghul Pilaf.
- Variation : Substitute peas
for beans to make Green Pea Stew