|Dating from the building of the Wrley and Essington in 1797, this branch originally served the early mines and lime kilns in the Birch Coppice area of Brownhills, which was the scene of the earliest industrial activity in Brownhills. The original Slough arm was about a quarter of a mile long. The south end was closed in the early 1830's. New mines were later sunk to the north on Wyley common, and the branch was connected to this by horse drawn tramway. This in turn was replaced by a new stretch of canal which include a lock. The branch fell into final disuse early in the 20th century.
The Slough arm joined the Wyrley and Essington where the old Norton branch railway bridge stands. Just off the junction is a basin. There was a covered wharf here. At the end of the basin is the entrance to the lock, this is now getting quite derelict and overgrown but is well worth a look. After the lock the branch is in pretty good condition up till Engine lane bridge, after which the water gradually trickles out. This area is well worth exploring as traces of the early industrial activity can still be seen, and some of the old tramways can still be traced.
The wharves at the Slough can still be made out (see map). The line of the Norton branch railway which ran alongside the Slough arm is now part of the Beacon way footpath.