|Canals played a major part in the development of Brownhills. The opening of the Wyrley and Essington in 1797, enabled Brownhills coal to reach national markets, whereas before it had only been for fairly local use. This in turn created more demand, and the opening of more pits. With the advent of the railways into the area in the 1850's, canal traffic began to decrease, although it was still a common way of tarnsport until after the secon world war. The last coal carrying barge on the Anglesey branch was as late as 1967.
Now the Wyrley and Essington only see leisure traffic, but the old bridges remain, and some of the coal loading wharfs are still visible. The Anglesey branch at Chasewater still has its coal loading wharf fairly intact, and the canal overflow systems.
Use the links to view a canal.